Thursday, October 16, 2008

What happens after the CSQ application

If the previous post, I talked about the point system and how it could affect the result of your application. Basically, there are several things that could happen to your file after you submit the application, explained very well on the MICC website:
  • You'll get an acknowledgment of receipt (AOR). This contains your file number and tells you what the next steps might be.
  • Things are missing from your application. You'll get a letter asking you to mail things within 60 days or the date on the letter. Note that the turnaround time is quite long - if your letter arrives at the MICC on, say, September 1, they won't process it until maybe a month later (cause of the number of letters that they get). But the 60 days refer to the postmark date anyway.
  • You will get an invitation for an interview. This could happen because of a variety of things, but mostly because you either don't have enough points, or the officer is not convinced of your educational credentials, or of your language skills.
  • You can get a CSQ without an interview if the number of points is sufficient.
  • You might get an "intent of refusal" letter. You would then have to mail in additional documents that would solidify your case, within 60 days or so.
To oversimplify, if you're single with no dependents, like me, you need 59 points or more (before the interview) to get a CSQ without an interview. If you have 53-58 points, you'll probably be asked to come for an interview (to get the "adaptibilité" points). If you have 51-52, you'll probably be asked to provide more documents to support your file. Below 50 you're on your own :)

I got the CSQ without an interview. When I sent my application to MICC, I've also attached a copy of my completed application for permanent residence (federal level). In the envelope with the CSQ, I also received:
  • The completed application for permanent residence (federal level) stamped with the date on which I applied for the CSQ (so it will be treated at Buffalo as if I sent them my application on June 16, 2008).
  • Instructions to go to a Designated Medical Professional (DMP) and undetake my medical exam.
  • A blank IMM1017 - Section A that I should take to the DMP. It has a big bold "Quebec" stamp on it.
  • A form that I should complete after the medical exam, where I specify the DMP, the CSQ number and the details of the exam. I am supposed to attach this to my file that is sent to Buffalo so that they know that I already undertook the medical exam and so that they don't send IMM 1017 - Section A again.
This is NOT the usual way of doing things. Normally, the procedure is: one gets the CSQ, sends the application to Buffalo, and gets the medical instructions from Buffalo. As it was explained to me at the information session and over the phone, MICC and Buffalo have an agreement whereby they send the medical instructions upfront with the CSQ to all people who get the CSQ in Montreal. This should in principle accelerate the procedure and cut a month or so from the total time it takes to get permanent residence.

My DMP was suspicious about the blank IMM 1017, but said that as long as I am fine with whatever procedure was described to me, he will take the money for the exam gladly :). See this thread on immigration.ca for experiences of people who took the exam upfront and those that did it after applying to Buffalo. Both ways seem to work, though it's not clear that there are real time-saving opportunities in the option suggested by the MICC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I got my CSQ in aug 2008 from montreal. At that time I was not very sure whether I would end up in Canada, so I delayed applying to Federal, which is the next step after getting CSQ. Knowing that the CSQ is valid for 1 year, I sent my application for fedral in feb 2009. I had finished my medicals right before that in Jan 2009. However due to incorrect application fees, my application was sent back to me and I resent it with in 1 month. I tracked my application through canada post and know that the application has reached buffalo on may 11, 2009. It has been 1 1/2 months and I haven't got any receipt of acknowledgment.

I am worried for 1) Is my application being processed at all 2) My CSQ is valid till aug 2009 and today is June 29th, I need to act fast now. What do I do and whom do I contact?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pavel